Let’s have some fun today. It is Friday, after all! I asked my friends on Facebook and Twitter which words they find deplorable or just down right annoying. I got an interesting array of both words and phrases in response. The following list should be turned into a bill that bans people from using them and be submitted to Congress for approval. Freedom of speech be damned. The freedom to not be annoyed should supercede the right of people to pollute the English launguage with such gag inducing terms.
- Legit. A word that many kids use to communicate their approval of someone or something.
- Synergy. A term that too many people in corporate America use to convince their peers that they are hip to the jive.
- Nosh. Apparently derived from a Yiddish word, meaning to snack. Can’t we just say snack, people?
- Yiddish. The language of people who use words like “nosh.” (See above.)
- Meow, woof…any other animal sounds that describe either sex appeal or extreme distaste of something or someone. Please let the animals have their language back. Thank you.
- Chillaxin’. A highly perturbing combination of the words Relaxing and Chilling. Used by people who don’t realize how annoying they are to those around them and then wonder why they never get invited to parties. Now you know.
- Diva. A person who is so damn demanding that nobody really likes them but because of his/her status, they have to put up with them anyway. Let’s call a spade a spade. This person is a bitch. The end.
- “That was so (insert amount of time) ago.” This phrase was so (insert amount of time) ago. Stop using it. I’m looking at you, AT&T.
- “Talk To The Hand.” Please oh please tell me that people don’t still say this. My five year old may use it once in a great while and he still can’t wipe his butt by himself. If you use this phrase, we now equate your status in society to a five year old with perpetual skid marks. NOT GOOD.
- Snarky. Every blogger on the planet has used this word at least once on their blog. I just feel bad for the ones who have it in their URL. If this is you, it’s time for a rebrand.
- Steezy. A ghetto originated word for “style.” It just sounds too close to sleezy. Fitting, I suppose, but still annoying.
- Axe. This is a sharp edged tool used for chopping down trees, not a form of the word ”ask.” If you axe me a question…I will ignore you. You have been warned.
- Swag. Meaning cool or “Legit.” Let’s just bundle those two words together and say “Swegit” to be extra obnoxious.
- Moist. This word triggers my gag reflex instantly. My grandma uses this word and although I love her dearly, I have to restrain myself from choking her when she does. THAT’S how bad it is. Grandma choking bad.
- Merch, Gorge, Adorbs….and all other words that have been hacked off at the kneecaps in order to save one second of your life. Take the extra second and say the whole word, dammit.
Feel free to add your own in the comment section and do not feel free to use any of the above when you are around me….unless you want me to axe you to take your lame steezy and go chillax somewhere else. Oh, and you can go read an old post on words that needed to be banished way back in 2009. It will be interesting to see if they are still in use. Happy Friday, everyone!